Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Saturday 14 May 2011

E bah Gum Common Sandpiper

I mentioned in my earlier post (Eh bah Gum Dipper) I crossed the border into Yorkshire and found myself on a popular stretch of the River Wharfe... where more Ray Mears impressions allowed me to watch a pair of Common Sandpipers... the results follow. 

 Once again apologies, only part complete but the server is rejecting images so I'll save at this stage and try again later... Update after numerous attempts this will have to do. Hope it's 'interesting'.
A favourite perching post

Not always easy to see... explains the colour of these birds perhaps

Included for size comparison, not much bigger then a Pied Wagtail

Again not easy to see and size comparison, much smaller than a gull
One of a pair... but don't ask me which one

Constantly on the move, both banks and up and down the river
Allez up – hatching flies
Catching hatching flies – or not as the case may be!
to finally come a bit closer

Interesting feet... and then the heaven's opened, he/she wasn't bothered but I was wet through... again
This Mandarin duck came as a bit of a surprise on the River Wharfe
Let alone two Mandarin ducks!
Sand Martins were in evidence, impossible to photograph in the light
So nothing more than 'example'
They would suddenly appear in number and disappear equally as quickly

6 comments:

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Nice series of images!

geoff gradwell said...

Hi Kah Wai Lin,
thank you for your comment and visiting the blog.
g

Unknown said...

Hi geoff great photos like 6 9 and 10 getting used to the camera

Brian Rafferty said...

Geoff. You really are getting around these days. Even crossing The Border !!!

Great to see you are getting excellent results . Great sequence with the common sand and you did well with the sand martins. I haven't tried those yet. Keep up the good work and have fun.

Pete Woodruff said...

Yes, some excellent Common Sandpiper shots Geoff, in particular from six downwards, also the bottom Sand Martin pic is good too.

geoff gradwell said...

Thanks folks.
Good to hear from Martin, and all of you and your comments appreciated.
Fieldcraft can get me there, but the results aren't always as I would wish, some are OK. Your kind words keep me going!
We keep trying.
g