Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Bits and Pieces (again)














I have been somewhat remiss in not keeping up-to-date, but days pass and become weeks and I'm sure you don't want to be bored with the same old subject. Anyhoo here are a selection of images from recent weeks from me on me travels. A Linnet at Knott End is enclosed as I have seen several reports of Twite, yet I have seen non, but I have seen Linnets – but no sighting reports of Linnet and thought it odd. On 20 October over at Eagland HiIll I saw my first influx of Pink Footed Geese estimated at about 6,000 and the sky was full of skeins of about 150 dropping in, hence the photos, taken as always as the light was failing. A Sparrowhawk flew past hunting the hedgerows and about 2,000 Starling were flocking before moving on to roost in Blackpool no doubt.

On my local patch I came across a buzzard being harassed as they so often are, sadly I haven't seen it since and those wing tips are so distinctive. Autumn is the time for reaping the nut harvest and windfall, this Jay was reasonably obliging while a Great Spotted Woodpecker has set about stripping the bark off one of the trees.

The Pied Wagtail I caught just taking-off along the esplanade at Knott End (on a very miserable day, but the flat light produced an almost monochromatic Japanese print effect) and included the Chaffinch as the colours of the bird reflected the colours of autumn and the moss and lichen on the branch.

4 comments:

Martin Clay said...

Some cracking pics of the buzzards and the jay! Impressed!

Millhouse Photography said...

Fantastic set of the Jay Geoff - gorgeous close-ups in lovely light. The buzzards and crows action shots are great, especially the first one with eye-contact on the buzzard and the crow squawking.

Brian Rafferty said...

Geoff. A great selection of bits and pieces..The pied wagtail is excellent and my favourite from this great set.

geoff gradwell said...

Thanks for your comments folks – interesting how we all have different favs; I quite like the first Jay image and the second Great Spotted Woodpecker – basically because they are going about their business and the woodie is in light and shade with the eye in light. All part of the fun, thanks again for visiting and commenting – it is appreciated. Watch this space. Cheers
g