Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Tuesday 2 August 2011

More flying things (insects)

I don't know if you remember the summer, you know those few days in July when the sun came out...

I suppose in some ways my garden is a 'wildlife' garden, most plants and trees are there for a purpose, usually based around wildlife but you might not know to look at it  just a mess! I have a triffid in the front garden, I don't know what it is called, well I don't remember, same thing, and it grows from a rhizome and has red flower spikes at this time of the year... it is a magnet for flying insects. 

Each year I try and study what is flying around and I simply haven't got a clue. Some of the obvious things I can identify... whereas others, no idea. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge may well know immediately but I don't fall into that category. So I have spent a bit of time, when the sun was out, trying to photograph what was around with a view to identification. I still haven't got a clue. Some of the 'bees' I'm not even sure are bees but  imposters – if anyone can help me out I'd be pleased to hear from you. Otherwise it will be further research, which may take a few weeks at the moment.

There have been very few butterflies about this year, a particular lack of Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Red Admirals so I wanted to record my first sightings... only trouble is this was about three weeks ago, I'll check the date... 21st July.

white-tipped abdomen, note 'yellow'

white-tipped abdomen

white-tipped abdomen
included because I quite liked the flower in focus and 'be' out of focus... 'art photo'!
red-tipped abdomen

red-tipped abdomen
red-tipped abdomen



Small Tortoiseshell

Gatekeeper
Large White

Holly Blue

I quite like this photo of a Holly Blue... another 'art photo'.

Perhaps I should add; I don't know my wasps from my hornets from whatever, and it is the drone flies, 'volucella bombylans' in particular that do a good impersonation of a bumble bee, those with white-tipped abdomens and some with red that make me hesitant.

I also get dyslexic and call items the wrong thing, even though I know what it is, so please advise and correct me where I make a horlicks of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geoff It just goes to show you don't have to travel far to take wildlife photo's. Another great set of images and I agree with you the last Holly Blue image is a stonker WELL DONE AGAIN keep up the good work.