Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Ghostly hunter

I've been out early and late and don't know if I'm coming or going... so nothing new there then! I think these were taken one evening over a week ago. Apologies for the repetition but 'fill ya boots' when you can!











I could count my barn owl sightings on one hand up until about two years ago, now I need more hands and feet! I guess it is knowing where when and how to look for these elusive birds – I just lurv 'em. Photography I find isn't easy because of the low light conditions, what is it they say about a poor workman? I am however going to try some different camera settings, so no doubt you will see how I get on in future posts. Hopefully these images capture 'the spirit' of these fab birds.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant Geoff. Nobody said it was easy,but i'ts great fun trying and a lot of satisfaction when you get a good'un WELL DONE hope to see you soon

Stuart Price said...

I've seen the grand total of one Barn Owl in my life............

It must be hard in that light.............you either need a 400 f2.8 lens or to ramp up that ISO as much as your camera body can cope with........

geoff gradwell said...

Gosh, don't get technical on me Stu, I can only just work the 'on/off' switch! But yep I think a 400 or even better a 500 lense might help? f2.8 dunno about that! There comes a point where even ISO 1600 is just too much noise, too slow and not worth the trouble, but great birds to watch... they are a bit camera shy though! Must save up!

Stuart Price said...

Hi Geoff, my tongue was in cheek somewhat, the 400 f2.8 lens is a 5Kg (ish) monster that'll cost almost as much as a new car, way out of my price range alas.

What camera/lens are you using?

geoff gradwell said...

Hi Stu, sorry for the delay, only here for brief periods; I recognised your comment was light hearted, about 9k here! How much in Japan? Thinking of the 400 5.6 fixed lense next. I using a Canon 40D EOS, 55-250mm EF lense. Fairly recent aquisition (thanks to Martin, above) so have some work to do geting to know it and get the best from it. Thousands of out of focus and blurred photos! Then again, that's the nature of digital photogrpahy (6fps)!

Brian Rafferty said...

Geoff. More excellent images from your lens....seven and eight are my favourites.We really are having a great time with these wonderful birds...Well done.

Millhouse Photography said...

Geoff, I absolutely love the 7th one here! I haven't seen many captures in that pose - I want one! Lovely mate, well done.

Also, thanks for looking at mine!

Christian