Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Sunday 10 April 2011

Ready steady... warble

Willow Warbler, extended primary projection

Willow Warbler, supercilium

Willow Warbler, 'orange' legs

Comma

Comma

Just an image I like of male Grey Wagtail

Male Grey Wagtail showing his 'bib'

I was aware there were Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff on my doorstep but 'catching' them is another matter entirely. Hours of fun staring into the thick cover and following the song has not got me very far in previous years. The best last year was a Chichaff high in some trees and the most common view was 'up it's backside' as one stares up into the branches (they don't put that in the guide books!). I don't know what is going on but I have dropped lucky this year. Unexpectedly, returing from another foray, I came across this Willow Warbler out in the open, well that is the best I am ever going to get... unfortunately just too far away. Anyway, three images to illustrate the various features, wing projection, supercilium, and leg colour. I have been 'chasing' the old chiffchaff too ('chasing' means hours sat or stood waiting!) but that's for the next blog submission (I think).

I was surprised to come across this Comma butterfly so early and again a little surprised at it's wing size; all previous sightings have been much bigger and later in the year.

And yes, he's back, by popular demand a couple if snaps of my favourite (at the moment) Mr Grey Wagtail strutting his stuff, I'm guessing she may be on the nest. I'm off to see if I can find that Willow Warbler again.

No comments: