Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Thursday 30 December 2010

That was 2010 that was Part 1

It's that time of the year so I thought I'd have a quick look through some old files... I can't belive what I have not included and the year in general, all a bit of a mixed bag and very enjoyable, but for me generally annus horribilis, be as it may...

January began with a close encounter of a Short Eared Owl that entertained me for best part of 25 minutes before deciding it was time to go a hunting.


Around the same time I had come across some pellets whci I now believe to belong to a Barn Owl and spent some time taking apart and what appear to be a voles.


I spent nearly two hours stood like a scarecrow in the snow, in a dung heap! to win the trust of a Meadow Pipit and Robin; I came across a couple of Jays at Lea Town and had a Pied Wagtail and Great Spotted Woodpecker as regular garden visitors. While out at Clifton I came a cross a small mixed flock of Fieldfare and Redwing but could manage no more than a record shot. 

This was going to be one or at most two posts, but I can see I'm running into trouble even now! So bear with me.




Come February and a female Bullfinch was a pleasant sight on the Honeysuckle seeds I had left over-winter. Over at Knott End I was in the right place at the right time to photograph the Twite on the Esplanade; while I picked up a Rock Pipit near the Bourne Arms. There were quite a few Eiders on the Sea,  with Turnstone, Knot, Redshank and other waders and Gulls on the foreshore and a Mistle Thrush in Knott End. A field of Pink-Footed Geese on the way home. It was also a day for two coats and three pairs of gloves! The welders must have been busy!





A few days later and about fifty Curlew were on Newton Marsh with a number of Wigeon and Teal along with the local Shoveler, Moorhen, Coot and other regulars. Three Goosander made an appearance on the local water course, while on a trip to Fairhaven the light inspired into a Sepia image of the local farmland.




We've all heard of March hares, but my first mating pair were on 16 February. I wouldn't like to put too much money on it, but I have a record shot of what looks like a Merlin down on Newton Marsh, while over at Lodge Lane a flock of Whooper Swans with a few Bewicks and about 30 Greylag Geese were found – better images to follow.

The wide open space of Morcambe Bay never ceases to amaze me... and then we were into March and time for another post methinks.










Powered by website analytics technology.


No comments: