Welcome

Welcome, all content is the copyright of the author © Geoff Gradwell
Please do not reproduce without asking. Thanks.
New at this and finding my way around. Any help appreciated!

Friday 19 March 2010

Starlings on the beach

Early evening, as it was going dark and leaving Bispham for Preston, I decided on a different way home, hoping to catch up with an old chum, so for a change it was a run down the prom. Approaching Talbot Road near the Cenotaph I noticed small flocks of starlings, and the road being quite was able to stop and find somewhere close by to park, checking restrictions carefully... they are always in double-dutch and keen on enforcement!
     Approaching north pier from the north there were small flocks of birds dropping in around the pier itself. However workmen... WERE AT WORK! around north pier and the esplanade, pneumatic drills a go go, large wagons and plant, very noisy (it was after 5.00pm!). I took a few images from the north and decided to see if I could achieve any better shots from further away, 'swooping flocks' and all that. The big problem was the light had faded and lessening by the minute. No chance of anything  from further away. For some reason I drifted down to the south side of north pier, only yo be confronted with 'barricade' fencing restricting public access because of the works being undertaken. However there was a six foot gap before the barricade.
     Amazing. One couldn't see from anywhere else but the starlings were landing on the beach before flying up to roost on the pier. I don't know if this is known or common behaviour but something I have not seen or heard of before. The natural light faded and the street lights came on and it was time to go. Quite a sight! Needless to say I happened to be there late-on, under a grey leaden sky... if only there had been clear skies and a sunset. Mental note to return... I didn't get chance. Oh well!...
I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to
Oh well
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by me and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
Oh well
Peter Green
Performed by Fleetwood Mac

No comments: